How to Paddle Straight and with Power!
When you watch competent paddle boarders, there are many visual similarities that stand out. One particular benchmark is how straight (perpendicular) the paddle shaft is to the water during the pull of the forward stroke.
By maintaining this perpendicular shaft, you can expect straighter movement, more speed, and less effort. Tips for a straighter shaft;
1. The blade face needs to be fully engaged and if this symmetry and alignment is respected voila!
2. Ideally during this phase, the shaft/blade are pulled parallel to the side rail of the board.
3. If you’re struggling to go straight, it’s almost always because your paddle shaft is not perpendicular to the water (straight up and down vs. angled out).
4. Learning to adjust the hips and shoulder through rotation and lean is all part of this technique phase.
5. This is a very active, athletic, and dynamic physical execution.
6. Practicing on land helps tremendously when done precisely and with focus.
Performance private SUP coaching slots are available all fall. Get a jump start on next season and see what the hype is all about!