Many paddlers tremendously overreach their stroke. Overreach emphasizes a delay in efficiency, and counter-intuitively leads to less power and less overall speed.
Problems incurred from paddle overreach include;
- Creates forward, off balance posture.
- Disassociation of paddle purpose - the stroke is many pieces working together; focusing so heavily on "the reach" detriments the other pieces of the pie, the plunge, connect, and pull.
- Overstretching of tendons, ligaments, and muscles of the shoulder.
- Disengages the core and athletic stance that creates stability, power, and control.
- Marking up the sides of your new board more then normal Whether you're a beginner or high performance paddler, a de-emphasized reach will offer better balance and water connection and therefore more control and power.
To learn more about our award winning stand up paddle board coaching including private in-person, virtual remote, and on location group clinics, call, text, or email us!